This ARG Hub has been archived and locked to preserve historical integrity. Go back to the Main Dashboard
From Portal 2 ARG Wiki - Valve ARG Network
Killing Floor is a co-op multiplayer survival first-person shooter set in the current-day ruins of England. It was developed by Tripwire Interactive and released on May 14, 2009. The game features realistic weaponry and an original soundtrack.
Here is TWI's official report of their doings in the ARG
- Can we find out what was changed in these maps on april 12th?
- BioticsLab - Unknown
- Wyre - Staircase glitch fixed? need someone to check (not roof, i checked)
- Can we find out what was changed in these maps on april 15th?
- If you would like to add anything PM jsmucha, (insert name), (insert name) at #valvearg2-kfloor IRC or Steam forums
Getting Potato(s) Achievement and Login Screen
To get the potato you need to accumulate seventy thousand pounds in-game, without cheating.
Here are some ways for the achievement and/or login (if one doesn't work try again or another). Please post your results in IRC channel #valvearg2-kfloor.
- Dedicated Server for achievement and login screen - (Confirmed by 50+ people)
- 1. Launch KF and click Host Game (if a warning pops up, ignore it).
- 2. Select KF-WestLondon, Beginner Difficulty, and Long Game Length (Enable Sandbox should be UNCHECKED).
- 3. Check your Mutators tab and remove any mutators that are active.
- 4. Click on the Dedicated button on the bottom right of your screen.
- 5. KF should become a small window with a bunch of text, wait for it to reach "STEAMAUTH : Sending updated server details - Killing Floor Server 0 | 6".
- 6. Go to your Steam Library and launch KF.
- 7. Click on Multiplayer, go to the LAN tab and connect to "Killing Floor Server". DON'T click "I'm Ready" yet!
- 8. Minimize to your other KF window and type "set PlayerReplicationInfo Score 70000". Screenshot. This should have no visible result. Return to your in-game KF.
- 9. Click the I'm Ready button and post results in #valvearg2-kfloor.
- 10. Results: login, login with achievement.
- * If you are getting the money but cannot buy the potato, check your taskbar to make sure you don't have multiple servers running.
- Multiplayer Online Game for achievement and login screen (try these servers: 22.214.171.124:7707 or 126.96.36.199)
- 1. Get a group of friends or join IRC.
- 2. Find a server or have someone host a beginner listen long kf-westlondon server (make sure the person hosting knows what they are doing).
- 3. Either collect weapons and/or heal and pool your money to Player X.
- 4. Have Player X buy the potato when they can and everyone should receive the achievement and only Player X will get the login page.
- Custom Map for ONLY the login page - (Confirmed by 10+ people)
- You can use this custom map.
- Takes about ten minutes on suicide, just sit in the room with the $ in it.
To get the next two potatoes for your profile (make sure you are in a multiplayer game):
Login Screen Instructions
- Note: the ticket has November 15th instead of October 31st. Also note the Level 8 mis-match between the poster and ticket. We think Level 8 points to Biotic's Labs where they have a lot of failed experiments. Tried "failed experiments" as KF login password. WORKED. This was most likely a coincidence since the password is supposed to come from another game (i.e. Audiosurf).
When playing the song AdFurious (original name: Descent) from BIT.TRIP BEAT in Audiosurf, the "Other Bonuses" at the scoreboard changes to "failed experiments". You need a gold medal for it to appear. The bonus points don't change.
- 1. When you enter "failed experiments" as the password you get this.
- 2. A potato is updated on your Steam community profile as well.
- 3. Killing Floor then updates (12.7 mb) and you get this.
- 4. You can download the file from [here].
- 5. Change the extension to "rar" hinted from Security Officer Thorne's bio. Also: Stupid Science Guy refers to the Patriach.
- 6. Upon extracting we are prompting for a password. Password: carnivore
- 7. Here are the three pictures without enhanced alpha channel, then with:
- 8. The fourth file which is named "d" should be renamed "d.zip".
- The compression size suggests that each game's single letter file has to be combined to form a ZIP file that can be extracted.
- The single letter file is corrupted. For KF it contains: 61.tga and 62.tga
*unconfirmed* Using a repair tool on it allows it to be opened and it prompts for a password. It is collaboration (discovered by Echoblade in IRC). Some files are unextractable, suggesting that a full archive is needed. The single letter files are able to be merged by hjsplit, by renaming the files in order, although dummy files need to be provided for the missing letters to allow it to be merged. When the order of the numbered TGA files are arranged, the single letters form "connnec_dadots" which suggests "connect da dots", pointing to the map of locations being generated from the alpha channel images. More may be in the complete zip file.
April 1st Update
Fixed several map exploits in the following maps:
Updated mutator whitelist and greylist. See the forums for additional information.
This update also included a song from Killing Floor Beta: Icy Murderous I.mp3
The four maps updated don't have any significance other than actual fixes:
- West London: Fixed car exploit.
- Departed: Moved fire extinguisher so getting on the shelf isn't possible.
- Farm: Fixed tractor glitch.
- Santa's Lair: Fixed god-bush by spawn. Also fixed railing by truck.
April 4th Update
The following text appeared in-game in the news tab:
Hello there, specimens!
Goodbye now, specimens!
99 76 101 97 114 108 89 44 32 116 104 101 114 101 32 97 114 101 32 110 111 32 109 111 114 101 32 99 108 117 101 115 32 116 111 32 98 101 32 102 111 117 110 100 32 122 101 114 111 32 114 101 97 115 111 110 115 32 101 120 73 115 116 32 116 111 32 99 111 110 116 105 78 117 101 32 116 111 32 108 117 114 99 104 32 105 110 116 101 114 110 97 108 108 121 44 32 115 117 114 101 108 121 44 32 106 117 115 116 32 34 71 111 111 103 108 105 110 103 32 97 114 111 117 110 100 34 32 105 115 32 98 101 84 116 101 114 32 116 104 97 110 32 34 112 108 97 121 105 110 103 34 32 102 79 114 32 89 79 85 114 32 112 117 114 101 32 114 101 115 101 97 114 99 104
Note that "DJ Skully" is misspelled. Normally it is written "DJ Scully". This tells us that C and K glyphs are the same glyph.
The numbers from this text translate into:
|cLearlY, there are no more clues to be found zero reasons exIst to contiNue to lurch internally, surely, just "Googling around" is beTter than "playing" fOr YOUr pure research|
Taking the capital letters, this turns to LYING TO YOU. This means not to Google around but to look in-game.
Besides that, the text of all character descriptions were updated:
- Agent_Wilkes: "Imma monkey fightin killin machine up in this monday through friday place."
- Corporal_Lewis: "Summer Solstice"
- Dr_Gary_Glover: "A132 - 417" This was later revealed to be the Uber Tuber achievement on 4/7.
- FoundryWorker_Aldridge: "I wonder what it says on my wrench." The two words on the wrench say "POLYGON DESIGN".
- LanceCorporal_Lee_Baron: "Where'd I put that box of bomb parts?"
- Lieutenant_Masterson: "Has anyone noticed I'm in every game that Tripwire makes?"
- Mike_Noble: "Has been known to say while reloading "Can't you see the Answer is always 42""
- Police_Constable_Briar: "My favorite color is Yelowwwwwwwwwwww"
- Police_Sergeant_Davin: "So apparently the end of the world isn't all it was cracked up to be."
- Private_Schnieder: "Ah fuck off."
- Security_Officer_Thorne: "Rawr, rawr rawr."
- Sergeant_Powers: "In search of a caravan and some dags to live out his life in peace"
- Harold_Hunt: "A current member of the A-Team."
- Kerry_Fitzpatrick: "Where the wind blows, far two east settles the mind."
- Trooper_Clive_Jenkins: "35 short ones for an Irish meal."
- Harchier_Spebbington: "Ask Hey Vie"
- Reverend_Alberts: "Kenny Rogers? Is that you?"
- Chopper_Harris: "Two world wars, one world cup."
- Kevo_Chav: "Hit Tom. Kiss Ace!"
- Captian_Wiggins: "What's old, Brittish and farts a lot?"
- Pyro_Blue: "Oh great, a TF2 tie-in."
- Pyro_Red: "Red > Blue"
- Baddest_Santa: "If you can read this, you're probably an achievement whore. Just sayin'."
- DJ_Scully: "dGhlIHdyaXRlcg=="
- Mr_Foster: "I said, "One's sofa have deep counts," as I die."
- Paramedic_Alfred_Anderson: "41 6c 69 65 6e 20 38 20 49 74 2e 20 32 30 37 34 20 2d 34 36 32 39 20 31 37"
April 7th Update
The following text appeared in-game on the news tab:
I am disappointed in some of you
I am watching
Six new achievements were added in three steps during this update. Apart from Uber Tuber, the icons are all Glyphs.
Expensive but delicious! Brought to you by Dr. Dougley and Lord Ned.
- Icon: A potato with a £ sign on it.
- When bought, achievement for all in server ticks and a Steam overly window loads with the Aperture Science login page.
- Dr. Dougley and Lord Ned are the #valvearg2 channel admins.
RMLYK UBBME HZZUM PRTJP GTDBS SYXVR JB
- Decodes to ONGRATULATIONSYOUFOUNDTHEMESSAGE (the missing letter is "C")
- Icon: The glyph associated with Killing Floor, found in RUSH.
RKVZZ MLIDX GNYSR CBH
WEQHD JIIHS GXF
- Decodes to EREISYOURCLUE (the missing letter is "H")
- Icon: The glyph associated with Razer.
GBRSM VEAZD ZXGVV CPUYY C
- Decodes to IXTEENANDFOURISTHEWAY (the missing letter is "S")
- Icon: The unknown glyph sourced from Bit.Trip.
WHAQH RKMMI KJKUV XNOAL LCKOC H
- Decodes to ESSAGETRANSMISSIONCOMPLETE (the missing letter is "M")
- Icon: The glyph associated with Audiosurf, found in Super Meat Boy.
These ciphertexts are encoded using the German Enigma cipher. When plugged into this decoder with the key "H E X", each one is decoded into a message that misses its first letter, referring to the glyph's letter associated with each achievement. The missing letters in sequence are C G H S M.
The translated message:
Congratulations you found the message
The missing letter for each message matches the respective glyph. (The AaAaAA!!! glyph was just swapped for G in the latest patch, with an "oops" added) This includes the much-contested M for the Mono glyph and speculative S for the dot glyph. "Sixteen and four is the way" was a clue to the Glyph squares.
Also, Killing Floor's password to another game was added. The phrase “ugly truth” was found printed in the players log file. To get it to appear one needed to kill multiple specimens with a grenade. This is something that happens often enough in any game that we figured it would be found if anybody would check their log for any reason. This was not discovered during the ARG.
April 8th Update
All biographies were blanked with the exception of these three:
- This translates in Base64 to "the writer" which lead us to look in the console in KF for the 1 2 3 Kick it password for the Aperture login.
Mr_Foster="I said, "One's sofa have deep counts," as I die."
- This is used for a cypher. (might also be an anagram for "a disco dish" which points to bedlam)
Paramedic_Alfred_Anderson="41 6c 69 65 6e 20 38 20 49 74 2e 20 32 30 37 34 20 2d 34 36 32 39 20 31 37"
- This translates to "Alien 8 It. 2074 -4629 17" by HEX conversion. KF_Bedlam has posters from "Alien 8 productions" and the coordinates point to glow sticks inside a carved corpse named manolantern.
April 9th Update
"All over the Interwebski, people are chasing around an ever-growing storyline (http://valvearg.com/wiki/Investigation_History), that seems to have started off with a bunch of potatoes on Potato Fools Day. Except for the usually ever-vigilant Killing Floor fans, who appear to be hiding under rocks these days. For another quote: "the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys." I get the distinct impression that there is a lot more hiding under the covers, so I'd suggest that you "go do the voodoo that you do... so well!". http://valvearg.com/wiki/Valve_ARG_Wiki if you have no idea what I'm talking about."
April 12th Update
One additional map has been prematurely released.
The following official maps have been updated to address bugs and exploits:
The following text appeared in-game on the news tab:
The testing chamber is now open for ex...play
I will be seeing you soon
- These maps have been changed:
- Bedlam - Graffiti added on wall by manolantern corpse.
- Biohazard - God pipes, lockers, and shelf fixed. Trader glitch fixed as well.
- BioticsLab - Unknown
- Waterworks - Shelf glitch fixed.
- WestLondon - Finished texturing and adding props next to underground trader.
- Wyre - Staircase glitch fixed or roof? need someone to check
- All character biographies have been reverted back to normal except Mr Foster and Paramedic Alfred Anderson.
- Files Added:
- The achievements added on April 7th have been changed into map achievements for completing KF_Aperture, along with one more cryptic achievement:
- Glyph Glyph
- Glyph Glyph
- This is a new map added with a trader that is a personality core. There are five red buttons in total; two pairs and a single. With another person to stand on one button pair, the corresponding door opens and leads you into a room.
- Either room has a welded shaft that takes one grenade to blow up. Once you jump in it you will fall down and teleport to another room. Eventually you will get to a room with computers and "use me" graffiti on the wall. Press your use key while in front of the computers and a browser window will pop up with a sound file: "Ink is imported by Marvin Oliver." This needs to be done through multiplayer. YouTube Guide
- There is also a large central chamber in the map that is accessible by three doors--each of these doors are locked as of this time but now have been opened on the April 15th update. See April 15th update for more information.
April 15th Update
The maps changed:
The center chamber containing a static version of GLaDOS is now accessible. Also a well-reinforced door with graffiti warning, "Don't open". By unwelding the door there is a golden potato floating and rotating with several Aperture Science testing materials. Like the Weighted Storage Cube, a powerless 1500 Megawatt Heavy Duty Super-Colliding Super Button and a Sentry Turret in the room. The achivement "Golden Potato" is granted by opening the door. Here is a quick video of the doors opening.
- The new achievement.
Note from Tripwire to HLDS Admins
The following E-mail was received by user M3PH on the Valve hlds_linux list server on April 12th.
It has been brought to our attention that Killing Floor has updated for all clients, with a full, free, new Portal-themed prototype level. This is a complete, fully-functional level, but was not yet due for release. While we are investigating the source of the leak, everyone who owns Killing Floor is welcome to explore the new level and let us know what you find! We suspect that this may be part of the bedlam that has been going on since Potato Fool's Day. In order for your server to allow these updated clients to connect, you will need to update your server. Thanks, Dayle Flowers Senior Programmer Tripwire Interactive, LLC.
Accessed Content Description Record
This content was accessed on April 1st:
<ApplicationRecord AppId='98009' MinCacheFileSizeMB='13' MaxCacheFileSizeMB='13' OnFirstLaunch='-1' IsBandwidthGreedy='1' CurrentVersionId='0' TrickleVersionId='-1' AppOfManifestOnlyCache='1250'> <Name>Killing Floor Accessed Content</Name> <InstallDirName>Killing Floor Accessed Content</InstallDirName> <ApplicationLaunchOptionsRecord> <ApplicationLaunchOptionRecord Description="Default" IconId='0' NoDesktopShortcut='0' NoStartMenuShortcut='0' LongRunningUnattended='0'> <CommandLine>potato_kiling_floor</CommandLine> </ApplicationLaunchOptionRecord> </ApplicationLaunchOptionsRecord> <ApplicationIconsRecord> </ApplicationIconsRecord> <ApplicationVersionsRecord> <ApplicationVersionRecord Description="0" VersionId='0' IsNotAvailable='0' IsEncryptionKeyAvailable='0' IsRebased='0'> <ApplicationVersionLaunchOptionsRecord> <id>0</id> </ApplicationVersionLaunchOptionsRecord> <DepotEncryptionKey></DepotEncryptionKey> </ApplicationVersionRecord> </ApplicationVersionsRecord> <ApplicationFilesystemsRecord> </ApplicationFilesystemsRecord> <extendedInfoRecord> <value key='icon'></value> <value key='order'>1</value> <value key='state'>eStateAvailable</value> <value key='gamedir'>Killing Floor April 2011</value> <value key='homepage'></value> <value key='NoServers'>1</value> <value key='developer'></value> <value key='DLCForAppID'>1250</value> <value key='primarycache'>98009</value> <value key='serverbrowsername'></value> <value key='MustOwnAppToPurchase'>1250</value> <value key='SDK_NotOwnedByDefault'>1</value> </extendedInfoRecord> <BetaVersionPassword>foo</BetaVersionPassword> <BetaVersionId>-1</BetaVersionId> </ApplicationRecord>