This ARG Hub has been archived and locked to preserve historical integrity. Go back to the Main Dashboard
Super Meat Boy
From Portal 2 ARG Wiki - Valve ARG Network
Super Meat Boy is a tough as nails platformer in which Meat Boy must rescue Bandage Girl from the nefarious clutches of Dr. Fetus. It was developed by Team Meat and released on Steam on November 30, 2010.
April 12th Update
The Cave Johnson Help Wanted Poster and Obtaining the Audio Transmission
The levels contain the code (instructions and images are below) 3131B95073 which if entered into google as "3131 B 95073" leads to The Couch Potato Discount Sofa Warehouse 1
IRC user Scorkpian(Thisisntjon) and his lovely wife let irc talk them into checking out to the Couch Potato Discount Furniture Warehouse where they found Media:CaveJohnsonPoster.jpg and a surprise visitor bearing a copy of SMB (unfortunately the later happened on a return trip caused by miscommunication, which in turn was caused by Twitter's own horrible app, and was not recorded). There is video here and you can see the Twitter exchange between Team Meat and pubvo(Scorkpain's only link to an irc ravenous for info) here
The Cave Johnson Poster contains another code under the word HELP. The code is 17395A. This is now believed to be a red herring. It is a list of the first part of the level names 17 3 9 5 A,
To reach the new Aperture Science Login Screen, search "FOR MEANING" (as referenced in the Cave Johnson poster) in the "levels" tab in Super Meat World, which is unlocked with 20 bandages. The login page will pop up automatically.
- A save file is located here. Back up your UserData folder from %programfiles%\Steam\steamapps\common\Super Meat Boy, and paste this one in. Then run Super Meat Boy normally. (BEWARE: This file will cause a number of achievements to become unlocked.)
- Alternative save file here. (This save file will only give you the achievement 'I Have Crabs!')
The new levels each contain hidden alphanumeric symbols that can be found either by using an alt-key(or F10) glitch or by climbing upwards using invisible blocks, or both.
31 - In the level, 17X011, invisible blocks can be sprayed with gibs or walked on to reveal 31.
31 - In the level 3X100, the symbols XXXI can be seen near the top of the level. XXXI is the roman numeral form of 31.
B - In the level 9X010, a pole and two wheels make the shape of the letter B. Many believed it to be a 18 but tweets from Team Meat implied otherwise.
95 - In the level 5X000, the number 95 is derived from the number of birds on the map when the level starts. This can be difficult to see in game as moving up to see the birds scares them away and it appears the alt trick necessary to get the key can also make the birds move. Thankfully this theory remained prevalent on irc despite the arguing to the contrary by some (myself included). The birds can best be viewed in the level editor screenshots below.
073 - In the level AX111, the number 073 is found high up in the level.
The levels were listed on the featured levels list in this order. Team Meat's tweets hinted we should keep the code in this order.
View the Symbols Yourself
To see the symbols you can use these level files extracted by Juzz. You can open them with level editor. (-devmode)
Level file: AX111.smbl
Level file: 5X000.smbl
Level file: 9X010.smbl
Level file: 3X100.smbl
Level file: 17X011.smbl
Alternatively in-game screenshots can be found Here
To see the symbols in-game you have to break the level (Except for 3x100). This is done by hitting alt or f10 which will freeze the game, if you hold a direction button for a short period then press alt again you may find Meatboy has moved through certain objects. They are not that hard to puzzle out with that bit of information, I won't spoil all the fun.
Appearance by GLaDOS
GLaDOS can be seen in Super Meat Boy behind Dr. Fetus in the movie that plays after selecting Super Meat World.
April 8th - SMB Twitter
- @SuperMeatBoy tweeted an image of a dead bird (and shortly after another bird). This has been taken to mean that we should stop looking on Twitter for clues. 20 minutes later they tweeted "these birds aren't red they are yellow".
- "These birds aren't red they are yellow". Perhaps this means we should not stop looking for clues on Twitter, only be cautious.
April 7th Update
The game updated and the letter related to Audiosurf finally showed itself near the glyph.
Playing Chapter 4 (Hell) level 19 (The Hive) and dying 11 times loads up an Aperture Science login page. This corresponds to 04/19/11, or the supposed release date of Portal 2.
19:49 EST Thatnerdguy The download resulting from doing this and entering the password "keith fetus" contains four images related to Portal 2, one of which is contained in the "D" file and is apparently broken. http://www.4shared.com/dir/Jljn1TtC/_online.htmlok.
Conversation with @SuperMeatBoy
@CD_ARC: @SuperMeatBoy Why the birds can't be red? @SuperMeatBoy: @CD_ARC because red birds cant follow the ray of sun
@SuperMeatBoy: no one seems to follow the ray of sun to the potato patch...
He was hinting at the never-found in-game method of obtaining the Mono glyph letter. On SMW's Featured level screen there's a random Meat Boy graphic in the bottom right corner. Refresh the screen until it's the dead meat boy. Click the dead meat boy and it opens up Danielleorama's Flickr in the Steam browser, with the M picture prominent. We never found this and so he gave us extra hints in the patch notes and in Twitter. And then Killing Floor told us explicitly what it was.
- I don't believe so, since the glyph WAS originally deciphered through the same site, just a different way of finding it (see two sections above this one)
- The flickr account reffered to "bird eggs". bird eggs being the password to Toki Tori's login page. Mystery solved? - GhostSonic
Two new tweets have been posted directed at @RayTheSun, the latter of which is "@RayTheSun the potato patch has more then one potato in it", suggesting there is more to pursue.
Twitter conversation with SMB devs
MOOMANiBE: @SuperMeatBoy Hey. Heeeey. You should give us ARGers a mysterious hint as to where the Letter for Audiosurf glyph is in SMB.
SuperMeatBoy: @MOOMANiBE maybe i already have? or maybe i dont even know what youre talking about
MOOMANiBE: @SuperMeatBoy Well that is definitely mysterious. We will now resume inane potato-related speculation and/or wild guessing.
SuperMeatBoy: @MOOMANiBE potato hunting is fun! GL!
MOOMANiBE: @SuperMeatBoy brb going to click on everything in existence
SuperMeatBoy: @MOOMANiBE you might be one click away
SuperMeatBoy: @MOOMANiBE did you get the free smb game code i sent you? i might have tweeted it to someone else...
MOOMANiBE: @SuperMeatBoy Are you referring to this? 7fa6ce99d281
SuperMeatBoy: @MOOMANiBE does it work?
MOOMANiBE: @SuperMeatBoy YOUR BAFFLING PUZZLE DEFIES ME
SuperMeatBoy: @Eyefunk @MOOMANiBE im just glad it got into the right hands
Twitter Information Summary
- Code: 7fa6ce99d281
Update: The latest Super Meat Boy update had this in the update log: 7fa6ce99d281 > 68657873697676697982657765
- 68657873697676697982657765, when separated into groups of two digits and treated as decimal numbers, is ASCII for: DANIELLEORAMA
- Team Meat -> the code, link to @danielleorama -> @danielleorama -> SMB chars with big M in background
-- Difficulty decreased on harder levels
-- Better Ammo (what the hell does that mean?)
-- Happy #PotatoFoolsDay
- THE SOURCE IMAGE OF THE GLYPH: http://i52.tinypic.com/21kil2h.png
- The new levels are comprised of a grids with a playable area of 12x12 (in most cases???). A color coded diagram of the levels. Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 (labelled below) also exhibit two sets of gray blocks on either side of the map outside the 12x12 grid. Original levels are shown in this Imgur Album
- The game also received a new world called Super Meat World, which allows users to download level packs. The top one is called Super Potato Boy and its levels form the following sentence: Data issued teases due to kid hair aroma.
- On first loading Super Meat World, when switching from the "Featured" tab to "Levels" a series of beeps plays. This only occurs once per boot of the game, so you will need to quit and restart to do it again. Possibly just a bug?
- This happens when the game is loading the list of levels
- Confirmed. Loaded up the game, turned off my network connection, and went to the level portal. The beeps kept looping as it was trying to load the levels. Psykus 20:59, 6 April 2011 (CDT)
- Recording: Smb-beep.wav
* Maybe this is supposed to be the morse code for "S"? Then we have our letter. --Volcano 10:53, 7 April 2011 (CDT)
- Binary in the background of the new levels There are two different strings. 1001010110001011010 which translates to �� and 0101101000110101001 which translates to Z5. It is incredibly doubtful that these actually mean anything and this background has been present in the XBLA version for a long time.
- A song released months ago was released in a Special Edition Soundtrack, named "...And Potatoes". It sounds similar to World 2 "The Hospital" theme. Decipher if possible. - Unrelated/red herring (if even that). Track is a pun on the phrase "meat and potatoes", was included on the special edition release long before potatoes became an ARG.
- The most recent Team Meat blog post (April 1st) has an image displaying Super Meat World. The image url indicates that the file is called portal2.jpg.
- There is a portal3.jpg too, and it's just secreenshots of the Super Meat Boy portal (Super Meat World). it's not related to Portal 2.
- An out of place block in the Super Meat World featured level "Burrito Boy" makes it impossible to complete the level. This block was not present in the X-box release.
- Is there a way to remove the silhouette effect from the level so that we can see the block in full color? Its possible that the block may have a glyph or a letter on it.
- It is possible to use the Steve character to bypass this block?
- No, the levels are in the SMB server and when you play them, you can't download them. The level is Meat Boy only.
- There is a second, unblocked, Burrito Boy level now available in the level selection list. The blocked level is still playable as a featured level, as part of the expert remix chapter, and from the level select list.
- If you click on the Meat Boy pic on Super Meat World menu, it will show this web  (Proof: )
- Only works on the dead meat boy picture. Change pictures by switching to the levels tab and back.
It's important to note that Team Meat has been publicly working on this update for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the content was completely unrelated to #PotatoFoolsDay.
0% meatboy save: http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/6169777/file.html (Will not unlock any achievements)
Save with 20 bandages and world 4 unlocked (only 1 achievement completed) - http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/58019862/file.html